Sunday, November 7, 2010

Watermelon Seeds

When I was a child, I was often told by my grandma that an eaten watermelon seed will grow into a watermelon inside my tummy and leaves will pop out of my head. And being a child I believe that myth.
But now that I’m older and wiser I supposed ;P I discovered that watermelon seed is actually nutritious. It has its own nutrients apart from the nutrients of the fruit itself. It contains selenium, essential fats, zinc and vitamin E all of which help against free radical damage and aging.
Piece of advice: Before you think of swallowing a handful of seeds let me remind you that because of the hard coating of watermelon seeds, if not chewed or otherwise broken down before swallowing, it can easily pass through your digestive tract undigested. If this happens, none of the seeds nutrients will be absorbed by the body.
I tried to chew some seeds but it was way too hard. It’s better if it’s blended together with a shake or juice. So the next time you order watermelon shake or juice ask them to blend in some seeds get all those nutrients.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment